Separated from fertile Lahaul by the soaring 4551m (15018 Ft) Kunzum La, Spiti is another chunk of Tibetan plateau marooned in India. This trip is a great way to explore the wonders of Spiti. You will trek in some of the remotest regions of the country. Spiti valley is in every sense as beautiful and rugged, if not more, than Ladakh. The turquoise-grey ribbon of the Spiti River is your near-constant companion, running along a fairly broad valley. This valley is open only for a few months every year as the high passes leading to it get blocked by heavy snowfall.
In the days to follow we indulge in exploration, hiking and soft trekking in this spectacular landscape. You come across small settlements with ancient monasteries, chortens, mane walls, fluttering flags, prayer wheels and Buddhist monks, leaving an image which is sure to last a lifetime. Last but not the least you will drive to the top of Kunzum La pass and also goes for circuit trek along the Chandratal (moonlake). Nothing can prepare you for the beauty of this lake. Chandratal is a spectacular high altitude lake with turquoise green water and snow capped mountains all around.
What is included in the tour
- AC Transport from Delhi - Shimla - Delhi
- Transport : Shimla - Kaza - Manali circuit by chartered non-AC vehicle.
- Stay in hotel for 4 nights (Sarhan, Sangla, Kalpa, Manali)
- Stay in Homestay for 4 Nights ( Tabo, Kaza, Langza)
- Camping in Chandratal for 1 night
- Food (Tea, Breakfast + Dinner) - from dinner on Day 1 to dinner Breakfast on Day 10.
- Activities and sightseeing as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Exploration Leader from Foliage Outdoors
- Travel Insurance
What is NOT included in the tour
- Travel arrangements to and from Delhi.
- Bottled Mineral water / cold drinks / any other beverages purchased during journey or at the Destination
- Personal expenditure of any kind (Porterage, Telephone, Laundry, etc.).
- Medical Expenses if incurred.
- Expenses that are incurred due to reasons beyond control of the organizers.
- Any other charges not mentioned in “Charges Include”
- Designed for an explorer by heart.
- A road trip of a lifetime in the lesser explored tibetan plateau of Himachal state.
- Experience the area like a local.
- Trek to Dhankar lake.
- Witness huge 25 ft. golden statue of Lord Buddha which overlooks Rangrik.
- Visit 1000-year-old Key Monastery!!
- Send home a letter from the Highest Post office in the world!
- Feel dwarfed amongst the Himalayan “moonscapes” and under the wide starlit sky.
- Drive through two high altitude passes of the Himalayas, Rohtang (13,050 ft) and Kunzum(15,060 ft)!
- Camping at Chandra Taal.
- Ride through high altitude pass “Rohtang La”
Day 1: Delhi - Shimla | Overnight Volvo
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 345 kms / 7-8 hrs
Arrival and reporting at Delhi. Proceed to Volvo start point. Depart to Shimla.
Day 2: Shimla - Sarahan | Overnight at Sarahan
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 165 kms / 5 - 6 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 7600 feet
Highlights : The scenic travel through Himalayan foothills. Green Himalayan landscapes. The Bhimakali temple of Sarhan with its unique kathkuni architecture.
Day 3: Sarahan - Sangla | Overnight at Sangla
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 85 kms / 3 -4 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 8500 feet
Highlights : Road trip to the higher Himalayan landscapes, Sangla Valley, Baspa river.
Day 4: Sangla - Chitkul - Kalpa | Overnight at Kalpa
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 104 kms / 5-6 hrs
Altitude during night halt: 8800 feet
Highlights : Drive to the last stop of old Tibetan trade route at Chitkul. Kinner Kailash peaks and close views of mountains in Kinnaur region.
Day 5: kalpa - Tabo | Overnight at Tabo
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 149 kms / 7-8 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 9600 feet
Highlights : Tabo gompa from AD 996, Unique ancient architecture, road trip started on Tibetan plateau.
Day 6: Tabo - Dhankar - Kaza | Overnight at Kaza
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 110 kms / 4-5 hrs
Trek to Dhankar :
Altitude during night halt : 11400 feet
Highlights : Moonscapes, Dhankar monastery, Hike to Dhankar lake.
Day 7: Kaza - Key - Kaza | Overnight at Kaza
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 40 kms / 3 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 11400 feet
Highlights : Spectacular drive near Spiti river. Key monastery with its best picturesque location.
Day 8: Kaza - Hikkim - Komic - Langza | Overnight at Langza
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 50 kms / 4 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 12900 feet
Highlights : Road trip to highest village on earth, Highest post office on earth - Hikkim, 3rd highest permanent settlement - Komic village. Open air buddha statue of Langza, Homestay in high altitude. Fossil.
Day 9: Langza - Chandra Taal | Overnight at Chandra Taal
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 53 kms / 3- 4 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 12750 feet
Highlights : Camping, Walk around Chandra taal, Photography, Beautiful topographical location.
Day 10: Chandra Taal - Manali | Overnight at Manali
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 87 kms / 4-5 hrs
Altitude during night halt : 6200 feet
Highlights : Rohtang pass, Chataru, Views of Chandrabhaga mountain ranges. Drive alongside Chandra river.
Day 11: Manali - Delhi | Overnight Volvo
Travel distance / Time (approx.) : 540 kms / 10-12 hrs
Highlights : Walk around mall road, visit to Hadimba temple, cafes of old Manali.
Day 12: Arrival Delhi | Tour ends
Time to depart with bag full of rugged cloths but filled with fresh memories.