We head to Chikmagalur to experience the stay in a Colonial Bungalow that has stood testimony to the changing seasons since 1853!!!
The Bungalow offers an exclusive stay experience since it has only six rooms but infinite common areas to indulge in casual conversation!!! Balur Estate, our home in the Coffee Estate, is a fully functioning, 400-acre coffee plantation that also grows spices like pepper, vanilla, cardamom and areca nut.
This Tour is a part of our “Coffee, Conversations and Bonfire” Tours. Essentially a slow-paced tour, the schedule of the day leaves ample time for you to enjoy your cup of Coffee, indulge in real Conversations over Bonfire.
Note from the host :
Balur Estate is marked by what it isn’t, perhaps more than what it is. So it isn’t a homestay, it definitely isn’t a resort or even a painstakingly maintained heritage bungalow. It doesn’t boast a terrific, multi-cuisine chef; it has no television, barely any mobile or internet connectivity, no geysers or jacuzzis.
What it promises you is a terrific sense of place, of history, of lifestyle. Do come to experience the hospitality of Ratnamma and Hamsa, your most hospitable cook cum hosts that you could ever wish for. Communication with them will be fun and you will eventually be richer by at least a ten-word-strong Kannada vocabulary!!! :)
- Sorry no more departures available. You could get in touch with us at email@example.com if you'd like to make a booking.
- Stay in a colonial bungalow which is in the heart of coffee estate that dates back to 1853.
- Walk to the source of Hemavathi river.
- Watch the colorful drama of the sunlight and clouds at the sunset point.
- See the magnificent statue of Baahubali at Shravanabelagola.
- See Halebid Temple that can easily be called as “poetry in stone”.
- Cheer your taste buds with the authentic Malnad cuisine.
- Walk through the clouds while trekking to Bidruthala.
- Spoil yourself in the land of coffee, endless conversations and bonfire.
Day 1 : Arrive at Bangalore - Shravanabelagola - Halebid - Overnight at Chikmagalur | 6 hours drive / 325 km
Arrive at Bangalore by 9 AM. Proceed to Chikmagalur.
En route we see Shravanabelagola which is home to the statue of Gomateshwara Bahubali and is one of the most important pilgrimage destinations in Jainism, The statue is set on a hill and requires climbing several hundred steps. The effort though is rewarded with good vantage views from atop of Vindhyagiri, the hill on which the Statue stands. The 57 feet high statue is one of the tallest monolithic statues of the World.
Further, on our route, we visit beautiful Hoysaleswara Temple at Halebid which is constructed in the 12th century and known for it's amazing architecture and mythological sculptures carved out of stone.
Reach Balur Estate by evening.
Check in to spacious rooms at the beautiful Colonial Bungalow in the middle of Coffee Estates that has stood testimony of time since 1853.
Overnight at Balur.
Day 2 : Tea Estate Walk - Sunset walk
Post breakfast, visit a Tea Factory and then go for a long walk through the Tea Estates. It’s a nice, long and refreshing walk. We end at the top of the Hill from where we can see beautiful vantage views of the surroundings. Return to Balur Estate for lunch.
In the evening, we go for a Sunset Walk (1.5 hours round trip) to the origin of River Hemavathi that originates a couple of kilometers from the bungalow, just above the estate. The vantage and sunset views from here are awesome. There’s a quiet temple you can spend some time at.
Overnight at Balur.
Day 3 : Bidruthala Walk - Coffee Estate Walk
The trek route passes through marshy forests, through thick and tall shola grassland region. The trek, for the most part, is along the ridges - a small wide walk trail on the mountains. The route provides beautiful, green carpet look of the surrounding hills. The trek ends with a packed breakfast under a huge conspicuous boulder.
Return to Balur Estate for late lunch.
Post lunch, Indulge in conversations or “do nothing” in particular :)
Overnight at Balur.
Day 4 : Chikmagalur - Bangalore | 6 hours drive / 300 km
Post breakfast checkout and start drive to Bangalore. Lunch en route.
The trip ends at Bangalore and one can fly back home or proceed for onward journey.
What is included in the tour
- Stay on twin sharing basis as per the itinerary.
- All meals starting from breakfast on day 1 till Hi Tea on day 4 (except at Airports).
- Transport by AC chartered vehicle as per the itinerary.
- Walks and sightseeing as per the itinerary.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Airfares up to and from Banglore.
- Anything that is not mentioned in “Inclusions”.