Chopta region, popularly known as the Mini-Switzerland of India as in the months of winters the place is beautifully covered with thick carpets of snow and offers spectacular views of the Himalayan snow-clad peaks. This trek is considered to be the best for beginners since the trail is safest and road head is nearby.
Out of the three hikes of this program, the first hike is a beautiful trail which passes through a rich forest along the stream known as Kakragad which leads us to a village Makkumath. A twenty-minute drive further will take us to Chalkot, a beautiful isolated campsite sounded by dense forest and mountains all around.
Next day trek is 2-3 hours trek to stunning location of Deoriatal. This place offers the up-close views of Chaukhamba peaks and to top it all it offers the jaw-dropping views of their reflection in the crystal clear water of Deoriatal. Spending time here listening to the mythological stories about the place is such a great pleasure.
On final day trek, we hike to Tungnath temple which is the highest Shiva temple in the world (3680 meters). The experience of being in the snow and walking through a thick snow terrain is truly amazing. Further, we will continue towards to the summit - Chandrashila peak (4000 meters). The fabulous panoramic views of the Himalayan giants including Bandarpoonch, Kedar, Chaukhamba peaks and many more will take your breath away.
So plan your winter holidays with us and explore the mini-Switzerland of India.
- Recommended for fit beginners and groups of friends or families looking out for an easy grade snow treks.
- Enjoy comfortable stays in the rooms of the Resorts at some picturesque locations for 2 nights.
- Enjoy staying in Swiss-Cottage Tents for 2 nights (washrooms not attached to the tents)
- Panoramic views of the mighty Garhwal Himalayan ranges.
- Trek to Chandrashila Peak for 360 degrees view of Himalayan Ranges.
- Get to see four of the magnificent confluence of River Alaknanda.
Day 1 : Overnight to Haridwar
Arrive at Delhi and head overnight to Haridwar.
Day 2 : Haridwar - Kund (1350m) | 200 km | 6-7 hours drive | Overnight at Kund
From Haridwar, we will start for Kund by private vehicle. The drive is beautiful and most of it is along the Ganga river before turning into the Mandakini valley. Enroute you will be crossing the holy towns of Rishikesh, Devprayag and Rudraprayag. After reaching Kund, in the evening we will go for a short hike to stretch and warm up our leg muscles.
Overnight stay at Kund.
Day 3 : Kund (1350m) - Kakragad (Stream) - Makkumat - Chalkot Camp | 20 mins drive / 4 - 5 hrs trek | Overnight at Chalkot
Post breakfast we drive to the streams at Kakragad. At Kakragad, one may choose to enjoy in the natural pools. The hike past the forests & Himalayan villages will lead you to Makkumat (Winter seat of Tungnath Temple). From Makkumat, the vehicle will pick us up to be driven to Chalkot.
Overnight stay at Chalkot.
Day 4 : Chalkot - Sari - Deoriatal - Sari - Chalkot | 1-hour drive / 3-4 hrs trek | Overnight at Chalkot
Post breakfast we drive to Sari, the starting point for the Deoriatal trek. From Sari, we begin the trek to Deoriatal, a high altitude lake. Spend a few hours by this magnificent lake, reflecting the Chaukhamba peaks in its still waters. Then, trek back to Sari retracing the same route. From Sari, we will be driven back to Chalkot.
Overnight stay at Chalkot.
Day 5 : Chalkot - Chopta (2800m) - Tungnath (3680m) - Chandrashila peak (4000m) - Chalkot/Kund | 1-1.5 hrs drive / 4-5 hours trek | Overnight at Chalkot/Kund
Today post early breakfast we will drive to the base of Tungnath and climb up the demanding but short and scenic slopes of the snowy meadow. In about a couple of hours, we will reach Tungnath temple. After a refreshment break and rest, we will climb the further summit of Chandrashila peak. Enjoy the panoramic views of Himalayan peaks (Nanda Devi, Trishul, Chaukhamba and many more) and surrounding valleys. Post spending some time we will retrace down to the base camp at Chopta and from there will be driven to Chalkot/Kund.
Overnight stay at Chalkot/Kund.
Day 6 : Chalkot/Kund - Haridwar | 200 km | 6-7 hours drive
After breakfast, start the drive to Haridwar. Arrive at Haridwar in the evening and proceed for an overnight journey to Delhi.
Day 7 : Arrive at Delhi
Arrive at Delhi and its time to say goodbye to your fellow travelers till we meet again to share the images and memories of your time spent in the Garhwal Himalayas.
What is included in the tour
- Transport: Delhi - Dehradun - Delhi by AC Vehicle.
- Local Transport: Dehradun - Auli - Dehradun by chartered non AC vehicle.
- Accommodation at Kund (Hotel) and Chalkot (Cottage Tent) during the trek on twin sharing.
- All meal charges - from Haridwar to Haridwar.
- Trekking arrangements as per the itinerary.
- Forest entry charges, permits & camping fee (if any).
- Services of a Camp leader from Foliage Outdoors.
- Porter/mule charges for carrying the luggage of 08 Kgs per person during trek.
- Activities as mentioned in the itinerary.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Flight / Train arrangement up to New Delhi.
- Bottled Mineral water / cold drinks / any other beverages purchased during the journey or at the Destination.
- Personal expenditure of any kind (personal porterage, telephone, laundry, room service etc.).
- Medical Expenses if incurred.
- Expenses that are incurred due to reasons beyond the control of the organizers.
- Any other charges not mentioned in “Charges Include”.