Located approx 400 kms from Pune, Lonar Crater is the World's third largest crater. It was formed due to a meteorite impact that occurred between 35,000 and 50,000 years ago. The lake is located in the world's only high-velocity impact formed in basaltic rock. Lonar Crater is approximately 150 meters (500 feet) deep, with an average diameter of almost 1,830 meters (6,000 feet). The crater rim rises roughly 20 meters (65 feet) above the surrounding land surface. The water of the lake is both saline and alkaline in nature, which makes it one-of-its-kind not only in India but also in the world. This trip also includes a visit to the Balaji Temple at Mehkar. The idol of Lord Balaji in this temple is carved out from a single black stone. It was founded in 1888 AD. This unique itinerary will be led by Prof. P.K Ghanekar.
- An exploration with Prof. P. K. Ghanekar
- Explore Lonar one of the largest craters residing in basalt rock
- Trivikram Vishnu at Mehkar carved in dark black stone
Day 1: Assemble at Foliage Outdoors office at 0600 hrs. Departure to Lonar by dedicated AC coach with halts for breakfast and lunch. Arrival at Lonar by 1500 hrs. An orientation session about Lonar Crater will be conducted over tea and snacks. Dinner and overnight stay at a hotel in Lonar.
Day 2: Full day exploration of Lonar Crater. All meals and overnight stay at a hotel in Lonar.
Day 3: Early morning departure to the Balaji Temple at Mehkar at 0400 hrs (this is the best chance to see the entire idol before it is re-decorated with flowers and other offerings). Departure to Pune at 0600 hrs. Breakfast and lunch en route. Arrival in Pune by 1500 hrs.
Things to Carry : ✦ Keep this list handy while Packing the Bag ✦
- Identity & Age Proof (Compulsory)
- A Sack / Duffle Bag / Hard bag (30-40 lit) (Compulsory)
- A Day-Pack (Sack) (15-20 lit) useful while exploration
- Personal Shawl or Blanket as per personal requirement (Bedding provided though)
- 2-3 Set of Clothes, Inner wears, Warm clothes as per requirement for 3 days (Compulsory)
- Personal Toiletries, Towel, Napkin, Sunscreen, Moisturizer, Mosquito repellents etc (Compulsory)
- Minimum 2 ltr water bottle(s) & Electoral / ORS (to keep yourself hydrated) (Compulsory)
- Light Snacks (Energy Bars / Chocolates / Dry Fruits etc) (Recommended)
- Comfortable Pants and T-shirt (full sleeves) (Recommended)
- Winter wear (Jacket / Sweater / Windcheater) (Compulsory)
- Sun Cap / Hat / Sunglasses (Compulsory)
- Sports Shoes (Compulsory)
- Floaters / Sports Loafers / Crocs (Useful while bus journey)
- Small Torch with working batteries (Recommended)
- Covers for Electronic gadgets (Camera, Phone etc)
- Personal Medication if any
- Personal cash as per personal requirement.
- Camera, Binoculars (With Cover/Bag to protect from dust and Moisture)
What is included in the tour
- Pune - Lonar - Mehkar - Pune travel using a dedicated AC coach.
- Accommodation on twin-sharing basis at Lonar in Non AC rooms.
- All meals (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) from Breakfast on Day 1 to lunch on Day 3.
- Guided walks and excursions as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Permits, toll & parking charges.
- Bottled drinking water.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal Expenses of any kind.
- Any Extras ordered as room service.
- Any kind of hot/cold beverages at the hotel or during travel.
- Anything that is not mentioned in 'Inclusions'.
- Any kind of Insurance
- Any change in program due to reason beyond the control of organisers.
- Goods and Services Tax as applicable.