The states of North East India are a land of pristine untouched forests, lush green valleys, lost and forgotten cultures nestled in mountains that disappear into the clouds. Thrown across the farthest reaches of India, obscured from the greater world by ageless forests and formidable mountain ranges, are one of Asia’s last great natural and anthropological sanctuaries.
Backpacking in North East India has a lot to offer. These remote frontiers of rugged beauty are ready to unfold an eclectic mix of tribal cultures, climates, landscapes and people.
The great plains of river Brahmaputra await your brief and are ready to share the untold stories of the largest river island - Majuli.
The clouds, waterfalls, Caves and never ending cool blue mountains define the essence of Meghalaya. The simpleton khasi tribe are warm and welcoming.
Welcoming you to this amazing tour, as we love to call it "Backpack Halfway to Heaven"
Click here to see few photographs clicked by our recent explorer.
Click here to see the teaser video.
What is included in the tour
- Chartered travel by Sumo/ Tempo traveller ( Meghalaya Circuit, from day 2 to day 6)
- Public Transport from day 6 to day 10.
- Food on CP (Bed + Breakfast )
- Stay in Budget Hotel / Guest Houses / bamboo huts.
- Boat transfers to Majuli Island.
- Travel arrangement while on Majuli island.
- Travel to all sightseeing places.
- 1 Jeep safari at Kaziranga National Park.
- Local escort at Kaziranga, Majuli Island and during overnight travel to Guwahati.
- Travel Insurance.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything not mentioned in the “Inclusion list”
- Travel arrangement up to and from Guwahati.
- Water bottles, Cold drinks etc.
- Any entry charges.
- Medical Expenses if incurred.
- Goods and Services Tax
- Change, extension of stay due to any reason beyond the organisers capacity.
- Designed for young traveller / Explorer by heart
- Umiam lake,
- Waterfalls (Seven sisters, Nohkalikai - The largest in Meghalaya)
- Caving in Meghalaya.
- Indo-Bangla border (selfie at no man’s land)
- Boating/ Swimming in Crystal clear water at Dawki.
- Mawlynnong (the cleanest village of Asia featured by Lonely planet)
- Hike to Living root bridge.
- Jeep safari at Kaziranga (Optional)
- Orchid Park at Kaziranga.
- Explore the largest River Island in the world - Majuli!
- Experience the spirit of unique Vaishnava Monks and Mask making monastery.
- Live with Mishing tribe.
- Amazing photographic opportunities.
- Experience and celebrate the unique “Folk culture and cuisine of North East India”.
Day 1: Arrive Guwahati | Guwahati sightseeing | Overnight at Guwahati
Reporting at Guwahati Airport. After arriving at the gateway to the east and the largest city in Assam. Enjoy the majestic views of the Brahmaputra enroute.
Sunset cruise at river Brahmaputra or Umanad Island (optional)
Day 2: Guwahati - Cherrapunjee | Overnight at Cherrapunjee
Travel time: 5 hrs / Distance: 150 Kms
Highlights of the day: Road trip through the blue hill ranges, viewpoint at Mawdok Dympep Valley, water falls (Nohkalikai, Seven sisters etc).
Day 3: Explore Cherrapunjee | Trekking | Overnight at Cherrapunjee
Highlights of the day: Monolith, Caving,Trek to double decker “living root bridge”.
Day 4: Cherrapunjee - Mawlynnong - Dawki - Shillong | Overnight at Shillong
Travel time: 7 hrs / Distance: 200 kms
Highlights of the day: Beautiful blue waters at Dawki and Indo - Bangladesh border.
Visit Mawlynnong - the cleanest village rated by lonely planet (as time permits)
Day 5: Explore Shillong | Overnight at Shillong
Highlights of the day: An advance museum on North Eastern Tribes, Shillong Cathedral, Archery gambling site, Golf course, Police bazar.
Day 6: Shillong - Kaziranga | Overnight at Kaziranga
Travel time: 9 hrs / Distance : 290 kms
Highlights of the day: A scenic drive as we cross the countless rivers and tea estates. Multi tribal live performance at Orchid park (As time permits).
Day 7: Kaziranga - Majuli | Overnight at Majuli
Travel time: 2.5 hrs (Vehicle) + 2 hrs (Boat drive) / Distance: 98 kms
Highlights of the day: Jeep safari at kaziranga, sail across the wide Brahmaputra River, bamboo/ Mud hut.
Day 8: Exploring Majuli | Mishing Tribe + Vaishnav Monastry | Overnight at Majuli
Walking down the bank of Luit river, explore tribal villages and experience local cuisine of MISHING tribe.Also explore the unique lifestyle of Vaishnav monks, visit to the Samaguri satra to experience the Monastic Mask making process.
Day 9: Majuli - Jorhat | Overnight travel to Guwahati by Bus/ Train
Highlights of the day: Cycling at Majuli Island. An upstream sail in Brahmaputra.
Day 10: Arrival Guwahati | End of tour
Pack your bag along with the memories to rejoice for a lifetime.